The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Board of Trustees has appointed 53 alumni and friends to serve on one of the most active volunteer organizations at Carolina: the UNC- Chapel Hill Board of Visitors. The new board members, appointed on May 30, will begin their four-year terms on July 1.
As ambassadors of Carolina, approximately 200 Board of Visitors members inform their communities about ongoing work and issues important to the University. In turn, the members share feedback from those communities with the University’s administration. These volunteers actively assist the Board of Trustees and Interim Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz to educate stakeholders about the mission, programs, accomplishments, needs and aspirations of the University. Members also volunteer their time and professional experience as a resource to students who seek guidance ahead of entering the workforce.
Reyna Walters-Morgan of Raleigh will serve as chair of the Board of Visitors and Brian T. Marley of Charlotte will serve as vice chair.
The new members are listed below, alphabetically by North Carolina county and by locations outside of North Carolina.
- Bladen County: Susan Prevette of Elizabethtown
- Buncombe County: Laura A. Webb of Asheville
- Durham County: Malchus l. Watlington of Durham
- Forsyth County: William R. Carter and Theodore C. Kerner of Winston-Salem
- Guilford County: Leigh H. Jones, J. Edward Kitchen, Phillip L. McAlpin and Jesse H. Washburn of Greensboro
- Mecklenburg County: Martin A. Godwin, William M. Herndon, William T. Houser, Jeffrey L. Irvin, Melinda M. Kaiser and Kay H. Sowers of Charlotte
- New Hanover County: Charles S. Baldwin, Jane R. Ellison and Shital R. Patel of Wilmington; Dustin J. Gross of Wrightsville Beach
- Orange County: Danny Bell, Maribel Carrion, Joseph Gannon and Stanley M. Koonce of Chapel Hill
- Sampson County: James R. Smith of Clinton
- Wake County: Lawson A. Rankin of Cary; Stephen C. Bryant, David B. Fountain, LaRee Johnson, Grier Martin, Robert W. Saunders, Rex T. Savery, Barbara B. Weyher and Matthew A. Young of Raleigh.
- Edward S. Su of Kentfield; Constance M. Hiatt of San Francisco; Donald P. Johnson of Toluca Lake
District of Columbia
- Caroline J. Croft of Washington
- Johnathan L. Robertson of Fort Lauderdale
- Alex Idichandy of Alpharetta; William D. Smith and Caroline S. Vroon of Atlanta
- Eva Chess of Chicago
- Brent M. Comstock of Lincoln
- Mary Elizabeth M. Catala, Ann T. Colley, Zachary W. Howell and Robert L. Huffines of New York
- Katrina L. Jamison of Summerville
- MaryEliza Ankenbauer of Austin
- John A. Schmidt of Alexandria; Kenneth W. Epps of Arlington; Tamara H. Bickston of Midlothian; R. Mason Bayler of Richmond